Monday, August 23, 2010

Baby Lessons

I expected to enter into a season of learning. The last few weeks before my son's birth I actually felt as if I was about to take a huge important test and I crammed in as many parenting and baby care books as I could. I knew I would learn a lot about motherhood, patience, wisdom, responsibility and many other things I couldn't even know how to prepare for. But I didn't really expect that I would learn so much about God.


Throughout these wonderful first few months of my motherhood journey, my old favorite spot on the couch with my Bible, journal and coffee has missed me a lot! But I've learned to take those quiet-time moments with me wherever I go, whatever I'm doing. Actually, it's more like I realized those moments were following me. As I try to keep my eyes open while nursing at 3 a.m. or as I change the eleventh diaper of the day or as I try to look perfectly capable carrying a car seat, diaper bag and groceries while trying to find the keys (and the car!)... through all the awkward, gross, funny, stressful, exhausting, stretching times, I've realized it's all worth it just to see that beautiful little smile and those big adoring eyes. And every morning when I stumble out of bed, I gladly do it all over again because the truth is, I would die for him if necessary!

That's how passionate a mother's love for her child can become in just three months. But every time I think of this I'm hit with the realization that this is just a precious little glimpse of God's love for me. My sweet little one has taught me so much about trust and faith and plain adoring love. He has taught me through his little giggle-attempts to just delight in the Lord, through his peaceful sleeping to just trust, through his unwavering devotion to just love and have faith. A baby has no need to worry or fear anything, and neither do I because my Father is so much more loving and capable than I could ever be.

That has been my greatest motherhood lesson so far.

5 comments:

  1. Good stuff, Joy! Motherhood is such a blessing...and there are the "early" years, and the middle years and the teen years...and it is all good!

    I will tell you one thing I decided to do after my third child was born....because I HATE losing the sleep in the middle of the night, I decided I needed to change my attitude and so I decided every time I was up in the middle of the night that someone needed me to pray for them. So that time became a precious time of praying for my sons, my family, my husband, and all others that were put into my mind and heart.

    Be blessed, Joy, be blessed!

    Kristi Powers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned some of the most profound and life-changing lessons from God through Tegan, and I imagine many more through my little boy too. One of them happened a few weeks ago when I was holding Tegan in my arms and she was singing along with the radio and was a little off-key. She was just totally being herself worshiping God without worrying about anyone's opinions or how she appeared. It was one of the most beautiful things I have every heard. It brought tears to my eyes as I realized how much more God appreciates the beauty of His worship when we let ourselves go in that kind of purity of heart and relationship with Him, even if we don't sound remarkable in the natural at all. Anyways, I can relate to your post!

    Maija

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Joy, that's awesome. I remember a song from my childhood which went something like "He loves us like a mother loves her newborn child"... God's love is amazing and I am continually astounded by it all!

    How have you been, my friend? It's been a while :)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is when we allow these precious moments and people to teach us more about our Father and about ourselves that we become humbled and moldable in His Hands! He then allows us to see deeper into Himself and truly experience the depth of joy and love that He feels for us and that He feels for others. We learn to love in such a way that it isn't about what response or appreciation that we get from those we love and serve, but the sheer awesome aprreciation we feel that we Get to serve and love!
    I am so awed by God's patience with me and by the fact that He allowed me the privelege to raise so many wonderful children! Just wait Joy...the ride of your has just begun! :)
    Thank you for your thoughts and what became an exhortation to all of us that there is pure joy in every moment God gives us...not just in the ones we create or think are deserving of joy.
    I love you and appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your heart is being enlarged! Enjoy the journey. Your loving mother

    ReplyDelete